Dauphin Island has two great beaches - one (called Public Beach) is located on the west end, while the other one is on the east end of the island. If you are looking for information about the East End beach, click here!
The Dauphin Island Public Beach is a light-tan (almost white) sandy beach located on the west end of the island. It is a large and quiet, non-crowded place loved by locals. The walk to the water itself was pretty long and tiring - it was hot and the sand was deep, so keep that in mind if you need to carry something heavy (like a toddler 😅).
Waters are shallow and clean. The beach area is so large that even when crowded you feel like you have a ton of space around you. Kids can have great fun on the playground.
The beach is open 8 AM to 6 PM, year-round. A small entrance fee is required to get in during spring and summer. There are plenty of nice-looking cabins and condos to rent for a longer stay.
Paid parking available ($3 per vehicle plus an additional $3 per person).
Additional information can be found on the official website.
Ferry to Dauphin Island
Car ferries run periodically from Fort Morgan. The schedule is available online, so make sure to consult it by clicking here. There are two types of ferries, the smaller one runs during winter and spring only.
What we loved
- Bird watching - the island is a sanctuary and part of the Alabama Coastal Birding Trail 🦅
- Few people on the beach
- Clear waters, powdery sand 🏖
- 45 minutes from Mobile, AL
- 1 hour 35 minutes from Pensacola, FL
- 2 hours 25 minutes from New Orleans, LA
Hotels and rentals
If you're considering staying for one or even a few nights, there are plenty of options available near the beach. Chose your preferred accomodation type and your favourite room provider:
- Nearby rentals from VRBO.
- Nearby rooms and properties from Booking.com.
Additionally, there's a number of beaches near Dauphin Island Public Beach which you can visit:
- Dauphin Island East End Beach (3 miles)
- Fort Morgan Beach (7 miles)
- Bon Secour Beach (National Wildlife Refuge) (18 miles)
- Fairhope Municipal Pier Beach (23 miles)
- Gulf Shores Public Beach (26 miles)