This beach is located in the Eastern part of the island, right next to the Historic Fort Gaines. Unlike the Public Beach on the West end, this rocky beach has fewer amenities but is free to use for everyone. Parking is also free of charge but limited - only around 20 spots or so. You can get to the island by ferry, tickets are pricey though - around $24 one way. However, if you do take the ferry, make sure to save your ticket, you will get a discount on your way back!
The beach is never crowded (ok, almost never!). It's clean and calm. Leashed pets are welcome. There's only one cafe nearby so pack a lunch if going for a daycation.
If you are looking for some entertainment, there's an aquarium and a bird sanctuary nearby (which is really cool). Did I tell you about the sunsets? One of the locals mentioned that they call it the "sunset capital of the world". And he was right! 🌅
The extra time we spent on traveling there was worth it – this is one of the nicest beaches available in the area.
You can take a ferry from Fort Morgan. There are two types of ferries – a smaller one can take up to 18 cars, but it only runs during winter and spring time. The larger one can hold up to 40 cars. Have a look at the schedule for the exact departure times here.
- 45 minutes from Mobile, AL
- 2 hours 30 minutes from New Orleans, LA
- 4 hours 15 minutes from Tallahassee, FL
What we loved
- Watching dolphins and pelicans
- Lots of shells on the beach
- Amazing sunsets
- Coming in early and having the whole beach to ourselves!
Hotels and rentals
If you're considering staying for one or even a few nights, there are plenty of options available near the beach. Chose your preferred accomodation type and your favourite room provider:
- Nearby rentals from VRBO.
- Nearby rooms and properties from Booking.com.
Additionally, there's a number of beaches near Dauphin Island East End Beach which you can visit:
- Dauphin Island Public Beach (3 miles)
- Fort Morgan Beach (4 miles)
- Bon Secour Beach (National Wildlife Refuge) (15 miles)
- Fairhope Municipal Pier Beach (21 miles)
- Gulf Shores Public Beach (23 miles)